About Gin Rummy Card Game
Gin Rummy is a matching type card game and popular variant of the Rummy, played with a standard french deck of 52 cards. The game objective is to combine sets of card sequences from the same suit or same rank and score an agreed number of points. The game continues till the winner reaches the final score goal which usually is 100 points.
Gin Rummy is also known as Gin, Knock Poker or Gin Poker.
How to Play Gin Rummy Online
Gin Rummy is played by 2 to 4 players. Our default online version is for 2 players and similar to a Rummy card game each participant plays for himself. The rules below include an explanation about the cards, the terms, as well as dealing and scoring. Additionally we added information on how to play for free and custom game options.
Use of the Cards
The card deck doesn’t contain Jokers and the ranking from high to low is King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, Ace. The Ace can only be followed with a 2 and can’t be meld with a King.
The dealer shuffles the deck and passes out 10 cards alternately to each player (1 card at a time per player). The remaining cards are placed face down in the center of the group to form the stock. The top card of the stock is flipped face-up and placed next to the stock form the discard pile.
You can discard a card you’ve just taken only if you got it from the pile.
It is not possible to discard a card that was face up when you took it (i.e from the discard pile) by default, after the first deal, order the cards by suit.
If both players pass on the first card, none of them can take it and have to draw from the draw pile.
Terms used in Gin Rummy
- Stock or draw pile – the cards that remain from the initial card distribution
- Discard pile or pile is a place where each player places a discarded card after each turn
- Deadwood cards are cards not being part of a meld
- Knocking – you can knock when you have deadwood cards sum value of 10 or less
- Meld – when a player makes a meld by either having three or more of a kind or by having three or more of a run. A run is made of three or more cards of the same suit in increasing or decreasing order. Unlike Basic Rummy, players do not lay down their melds in Gin Rummy until someone goes Knock. Intersecting melds is not allowed
- Gin is when the declaring player has 10 melded cards (has no deadwood cards)
- Big Gin refers to when players have Gin but they are drawn an 11th card, and if it’s part of his melds. They can declare big gin without discarding a card
- Layoff means to add a card to an existing meld
- Attacker – player performing a knock
- Defender – player being knocked
- Undercut is when the Defender has equal or fewer deadwood points than the knocking player. The situation is known as an Undercut and the defending player receives the points along with a point bonus
Points are counted from the deadwood cards:
Ace is 1 point / Number cards worth their face value / Picture cards value is 10 points
After a player knocks, and the layoffs are made, the knocking player receives a score equal to the difference between the two hands. For example, if a player knocks with 8, and the defender has 10 deadwood points in their hand after laying off, the knocking player receives 2 points for the hand.
Gin is 25 points + sum of deadwood in the opponent’s hand. Big Gin is 31 points + sum of the opponent’s deadwood.
In a draw, there are not awarded points to either player.
The first player who reaches 100 points wins the game.
Custom room options
Points adjustable for online game in the custom room (“Play with friends”):
- Undercut – 10, 20 or 25
- Gin – 20 or 25
- Big Gin – 25, 31 or 50
- Final score – 100/250/500 points
How to play for free
There are two available options to play Gin Rummy for free:
- Create custom games in the “Play with friends” room and adjust the option to start the game with “0” chips.
- Practice your skills in the lobby “Play with computer” where all games are free.
- 🇺🇸 United States
- 🇨🇦 Canada
- 🇬🇧 United Kingdom
- 🇦🇺 Australia
- 🇳🇿 New Zealand
- 🇸🇪 Sweden
- 🇩🇪 Germany
- 🇮🇪 Ireland
- 🇮🇳 India
- 🇮🇹 Italy